The wreck of the paddle steamer `Rhosneigr`

********THE RHOSNEIGR********

Situated at Rhos Point, the steamship Rhosneigr wreck may be seen at low water on a large spring tide albeit there is very little left to be seen these days apart from the drive arms to the paddles. Parts of the paddles metal structures are still evident. She was built in 1876 in Glasgow for the Southampton, Isle of Wight, and South of England Steamship Company and was originally named `Prince Leopold`. She was sold to the Colwyn Bay and Liverpool Steamship company in 1906 and then to the Mersey Trading Company in 1907. She was renamed `Rhosneigr`.

She developed trouble close to Rhos Pier, the passengers were offloaded safely but eventually she went aground near Rhos Point on July 20th. 1908.

I haven`t yet come across a picture of the `Rhosneigr` but a close relative of hers is the `Rhos Colwyn` paddle steamer which was owned by Mr W. Horton who was a prominent businessman and property owner in Rhos on Sea. She operated between Rhyl, Rhos and Llandudno, surviving until 1911 when she was sold for breaking up. Below is a picture of the `Rhos Colwyn` and the `Rhosneigr` would have looked very similar to this:

The paddle steamer the `Rhos Colwyn`
***********************************
Rhos on Sea Pier was originally the Douglas, Isle of Man Pier and was built in 1869. It was taken down , sold to Rhos on Sea and rebuilt in 1896. A far longer pier than Colwyn Bay it serviced pleasure boats between Liverpool, Rhyl, and Conwy. During the second world war it was decided that a portion be removed from the centre of the structure to prevent any attempts of landing by enemy troops. Shortly after the end of the war it was demolished completely as it was deemed unsafe. A sad end to another great Victorian pier.

Rhos on Sea Pier


Up to approximately 20 years ago there was another wreck situated alongside the Rhosneigr at Rhos Point and this was the remains of a Mosquito Airplane. All that could be seen Mosquito aircraftof it at low water on a big spring tide was a large straight upright propellor blade and one bent blade and the top of the engine housing. The legendary Mosquito, the "Wooden Wonder", was one of the decisive aircraft of World War II and was conceived as an unarmed high-speed bomber. The Mosquito was built of a ply/balsa sandwich material. It was first flown on November 25th 1940 and possesed such phenomenal capabilities that it was developed in many different variants : an unarmed bomber, a reconnaissance aircraft, a radar carrying night fighter and a potent fighter bomber.

Following its crash into the briny needless to say the fuselage quickly disappeared and the remaining `bits` were eventually removed by amateur divers and the rumour was that the remaining engines were of significant value owing to their bronze metal content!