Entry in Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883,
pp.278-9.


COSTESSEY (corrupted into COSSEY) is a parish and village pleasantly
situated on the river Wensum, 1 miles south-west from Drayton station on the
Eastern and Midlands railway, and 4½ north-west from Norwich, and consists
principally of one long street, extending nearly 2 miles, with houses of
irregular form and size, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe
hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Hingham,
archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Edmund is
a large building of flint, and consists of chancel and nave, with square
tower and low wooden spire containing 5 bells: at the south entrance is an
old Norman porch, and it contains a very handsome Florid Gothic screen:
there are several monuments to the Waldegrave and Jerningham families. The
register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, yearly value
£175, in the gift of the trustees of the Great Hospital at Norwich, and held
since 1845 by the Rev. James Williams Evens, MA, of Trinity College, Oxford.
The Baptists have a chapel, situated in the centre of the village. The
Wesleyans have a room in which divine service is performed every Sunday.
There is a charity of £2. 2s. yearly value. At the eastern extremity of the
village is a large flour mill, worked by the river Wensum. The Hall, the
seat of Lord Stafford (who is lord of the manor and chief landowner), stands
in an extensive park, close to the river Wensum. the new Hall, adjoining the
old one, is of red brick, in the Tudor style, built by John Chester Buckler,
of Oxford, with a tower and richly ornamented chimneys and pinnacles of the
same material; it has a noble appearance, and is surrounded by plantations
and over 900 acres of park with fine timber, and in which is a sheet of
water: the mansion contains a choice collection of antiquities, and some
fine paintings by old masters. The Catholic church of St. Walstan is a
brick building, with narrow lancet windows, some of which are stained:
attached is a residence for the priest. Here is a Catholic school, supported
entirely by Lord Stafford. The soil is chiefly sand and light loam; subsoil
various. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is
2,770 acres, exclusive of a common of 270 acres, which has been enclosed;
rateable value £4.475; and the population in 1881 was 960.
Parish Clerk, Pilot Paul
_____

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank:— Caius Spaul, receiver. Letters
arrive from Norwich at 5 a.m.; dispatched at 6.45 p.m. Norwich is the
nearest telegraph office.
INSURANCE AGENT.—Norwich Union Fire, H.Coverdale.
Collector of Assessed Taxes, John Part
Catholic School. the sisters of St. Paul are teachers.

Stafford Lord D.D., J.P. The Hall
Brett David
Bugg John, Beech cottage
Bush Robert
Coverdale Henry, Costessey park
Culley Henry
Culley Mrs. H. U.
Davies Rev. George M.A. [Catholic] [chaplain to Lord Stafford]
Evans Rev. Jas. Williams M.A. [vicar]
Gunton George
Spencer Henry

COMMERCIAL.
Addison Thomas, farmer
Anderson Robert, Bush
Banham Hannah (Mrs.), farmer
Banham James, pump maker
Barnes John, bricklayer
Cannell Jacob, butcher
Cannel William, butcher
Carr John, farmer, The Common
Churchyard William, draper & grocer
Clark Zacharias, shopkeeper
Cole Charles, White Hart
Cole John, wheelwright
Cook Robins, farmer
Coverdale Henry, land steward to Lord Stafford, Costessey park
Culley Henry, miller (water), Costessey mills
Culley John, farmer, Church farm
Easton Austin, Black Swan
Edwards William (Mrs.), laundry
Frost Rose Hannah (Mrs.), druggist
Gooderson Sarah (Mrs.), wheelwright
Gotts John, miller
Gunton Edward, beer retailer
Gunton Frederick, builder, contractor and carpenter
Gunton George, jun. brick maker
Gunton William, brick maker
Harvey Charles, shoe maker
Hostler John, chimney sweeper
Hubbard Stephen, farmer
King Harriet (Miss), shopkeeper
Lyons John, Falcon
Matthews Charles, farmer
Ottaway Robert, general dealer
Pratt John, baker & collector of taxes
Savage George, saddler
Simmons Philip, shoe maker
Sparkes Henery, general dealer
Spaul Caius, tailor & postmaster
Spaul John, blacksmith & shopkeeper

Watchman Priscilla (Mrs.), farmer
Whall Frederick, farmer
White William, assistant overseer
Wild Henry, market gardener


Back to story page